September 25, 2017

History

Detroit Business Institute-Downriver was established in 1976 as a branch campus of Detroit Business Institute; its origin can be traced back to 1850.  In 1983, Detroit Business Institute-Downriver was awarded accreditation as a free-standing institution by the Accrediting Commission for Independent Colleges and Schools.  In 1990, Detroit Business Institute-Downriver became totally independent when it was purchased by Votech Educational Systems, Inc.  At that time, the school was officially renamed Detroit Business Institute-Downriver.  The school is presently located at the corner of Fort and Sibley in the Riverview Commons Shopping Center in Riverview, Michigan.

Detroit Business Institute-Downriver is licensed by the state of Michigan as a private vocational school and has been accredited as a non-degree granting institution by the Accrediting Council of the Association of Independent Colleges and Schools since 1977.